Thursday, December 28, 2017

FreeRails: the journey continues

Originally I just wanted to import the sources of the original FreeRails project to Github to preserve them and to facilitate further development with the aim to rescue an abandoned project.

However, I could not stop myself and started to continue myself. The project used Maven as build system. I converted this to Gradle. I cleaned up a bit, started a restructured text based documentation that can be automatically be created by readthedocs each time the code repository gets updated and I setup Travis CI (it was ridiculously easy) to automatically run the tests and report errors each time the code repository gets updated.

The goal is to jump-start the continuation of the project by

  • Updating the code base to Java 8 (applying the full code inspection capabilities IDEs like IntelliJ can provide)
  • Switching the GUI framework from Swing to JavaFX with somewhat improved/scaled artwork
  • Reducing complexity in the code base and the game model
  • Removing unused or unnecessary parts of the code base
  • Delivering installers for Windows
I welcome everyone taking part in this. Let's collaborate on Github.

No comments:

Post a Comment