Monday, January 25, 2021

An incredibly humbling experience

In December 2017 I started to collect information about open source game projects with the goal to build them and finally improve some of them. I thought about a one year project and maybe 200 games I would look at.

Now, over three years later, the open source games list (OSGL) contains information of ~1300 games and thousands of developers and I hardly started building and improving the games. But I can already say that I will be able to only work on a few of them, a tiny minority of all projects, which are out there. And it will take years, if not a decade. And lots of new projects will be started in the mean time.

Reflecting on this gave me the following (maybe familiar) feelings

  • We are so small! 
  • The world is so big!
  • And so complex!
  • Only by working together we can actually achieve something significant!
  • We are like ants!
  • Organization is everything!
  • It's so humbling!
  • It's not the individual, it's all team work!

Ant nest - Taken from Andrew Gustar on Flickr (licensed CC BY-ND)

I will continue to plow that field, but with a renewed sense of what it means to work together and what can be achieved really (need to prioritize even more). One thing becomes clear however: Organizing ourselves is the key to make use of us most efficiently. Open source game developers should strive to even better connect themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment