Friday, October 2, 2020

Quite advanced in building a new website for the OSGL

 In the last days I got much more experience with the CSS framework Bulma and with the template engine Jinja. Bulma does the job quite nicely (some things of it I don't need) while other things like colors I need to add myself and sometimes I would wish for even smaller sizes (of tags for example). Jinja by itself has a certain way of doing things, but I think I figured it out by now and are capable of writing fairly efficient templates.

Now the big issue here is the wiring. There are games and there are frameworks/tools. Games are sorted by alphabet, genre, programming language and OS support, frameworks/tools are only sorted by alphabet. Both have developers and can be inspired by original software. That means there are additional developer and inspiration categories, which are also alphabetically sorted. The linking is also backwards, i.e. from a developer to the developed games or frameworks/tools and from the inspiration to the inspired games or frameworks/tools. The data itself is residing in the markdown files in the Github repository, but for the HTML output, I need to get this links right. While some of it already works, some more wiring still needs to be done.

And then I can start polishing the look and layout of the entries and the static pages. The internal data representation is dictionary / keywords based (in Python) and then Jinja templates and macros do the rendering as HTML with HTML tags and CSS classes.

Finally, I would like to get a few more images (using icon fonts for symbolizing the OS and other stuff, info graphics for the statistics page and maybe game images (but at least a collage of images for the main page). Then some additional text here and there and a dynamic JavaScript table (for searching). And then I'm done and it can go live and I can talk about it.

Two more weeks at the very least, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment